The Mac mini is exactly what it says it is: a mini Mac. It’s a compact, portable desktop computer that can transform any screen into a Mac-powered smart computer.
Apple’s computers are fantastic pieces of machinery – there is no doubt about it. But what is it about the Mac mini that makes them so popular among programmers? Read this blog and find out!
One of the main reasons why developers don’t fancy windows is security. They don’t want their work to be hijacked over by a malicious hacker, and they certainly don’t want to hold their breath every time they’re prompted to click on a pop-up. Some of the security features of the Mac mini has been explained below:
- Exploit mitigation: It includes mechanisms that can help protect against remote code execution or zero-day vulnerability exploits. This includes a hardware-level security mechanism known as pointer authentication, making it far more difficult for an attacker to modify pointers in memory and provides a layer of security against buffer overflow exploits.
- Vulnerability: The checkm8 vulnerability that affected the T2 is now no longer present on the M1-equipped Mac Mini. The T2 chip isn’t even present in M1 Macs. Instead, the security functionality that the T2 supported is baked into the M1.
- System Integrity: During startup, system integrity allows for a hardware-level verification of the operating system. It also continues to protect macOS authorizations in the background as it runs. This strengthens protections against sophisticated malware that tries to hijack macOS regularly.
Working with MAC OS X allows you to run all of the major operating systems on your machine, which is a huge benefit for programmers. Running OS X on a Windows device would be difficult, and the only way to do so would be to install hacked versions of OS X. In contrast, Mac mini can efficiently run Windows and even Linux in a virtual environment.
Developers can use Parallels or a similar virtualization tool to give multiple operating systems on their Mac mini if it is sufficiently equipped (it means a Mac mini should have an i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, and absolutely SSD instead of a hard drive).
For developers, this is a significant appeal. If they have a powerful Mac mini with Parallels installed, they can run Windows and Linux alongside MacOS applications, even dragging and dropping between them. This level of flexibility is unrivaled by any other operating system.
Applications and UX:
Another reason for the success of the Mac mini is its friendly and elegant user interface, as well as a large number of high-quality applications available. For instance, applications like Alfred, Amphetamine, Pocket, etc are apps that help boost the productivity of many developers.
Why did that prove to be such a game-changer?
The popularity of Apple devices among developers coincided with an era in which web development became more sophisticated, necessitating more specialized tools. The macOS X environment was poised to fulfill the need with text editors, package managers, etc. So, an increasing number of developers began to adopt macOS due to the accurate perception that they provided the most sophisticated development environment.
What are the hardware capabilities of the Mac mini?
- Running Apps on M1 Mac mini: Apple has created tools that allow developers to create Universal app binaries that run flawlessly on both Apple Silicon and Intel chips and the Rosetta 2 translation layer that enables x86 apps to run on the M1 chip.
- Apple M1 Chip: Apple has made the M1 do precisely what the company wants it to because it is a custom design. As a result, many different Mac mini components, including the GPU and the T2 security chip, have been integrated into the M1’s design.This process of miniaturization results in greater efficiency or lower power consumption.Power consumption is likely to be the most tangible benefit for the developers here. The new M1 Chips use half the power of previous Intel chips, which means double the battery life.
Ready to get your organization connected with UnitedMac?
UnitedMac provides managed & dedicated cloud Mac mini devices that can be accessed on-demand for app development and enterprise builds. Get services from our most secure and resilient cloud data centers in San Francisco, USA, and Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Visit our website to know more!
Cloud computing has changed how organizations need to think about their data and assets being secured. As organizations continue to embrace cloud-based strategies to support artificial intelligence, the Internet, and big data, sensitive assets’ security is apprehensive. Some organizations create private clouds on-site to mitigate these concerns. These private clouds can have greater flexibility and agility than the public cloud, improved data control, and the ability to meet industry-specific compliance requirements.
At United Private Cloud, we frequently see businesses struggling to keep their ‘Do-it-yourself’ private clouds safe, where we’ve been investing in cloud security for two decades. Simply put, more responsibility is added in the hands of your organization as you move to a private cloud environment; it could be challenging to keep the environment secure without adequate staff resources and expertise. We’re a managed service provider with a difference: on each of the leading private clouds: VMware, Microsoft, and OpenStack, we deliver private cloud as a service. For example, we understand that vulnerabilities can occur during day-to-day IT processes, which is why we offer resources to monitor your entire cloud stack, from the infrastructure to the application layer through the operating system. Policy updates, patches, and even the launch of new technology are included in our 24x7x365 service.
- Cloud providers make layers of security more accessible: It is costly and complex to keep systems safe from threats. Businesses need devoted resources and huge budgets to do so alone and do it well. This is an additional benefit for private cloud providers. They can make fair use of economies of scale to improve their operations and provide their shared infrastructure with high robustness. The entire money, time, and resources invested in the construction and maintenance of a highly secure cloud platform benefit not only one company but thousands and millions of clients. These businesses can therefore benefit from multiple security layers that they could not have implemented themselves.
- Cloud providers facilitate system updates and patches: Ensuring the system up to date always requires continuous attention and minimizing risks. The cyber threat landscape is evolving, and vendors quickly detect and fix many vulnerabilities hackers prey on. Unfortunately, updating software takes time, and it is a task that often falls through the cracks when an organization faces budgetary constrictions. One advantage of using a cloud service is that the cloud service provider facilitates system updates. The organization will have access to them as soon as the latest versions and fixes are available. This ensures that systems continue to be protected from vulnerabilities.
- Cloud providers take onus for the risk of threats: Cloud service providers use stricter security measures for their infrastructure. The explanation is that their product and core skills are at stake. The organization also implements security into its cloud platform from the ground up and introduces obligatory security requirements into each development process. Top cloud providers are also involved with comprehensive third-party audits that test and validate security checks to ensure international and industry-specific adherence requirements are followed.
- Cloud providers have strict policies to prevent unauthorized access: In safeguarding against cyber-attacks, physical security plays a key role. For instance, seeing access control servers sitting under the receptionist’s desk in an organization’s front lobby is not unusual. The data can be stolen or lost by one USB key at any time. Mitigating internal threats is a vital component of what a cloud service provider does. Private Cloud service providers create data centers with unparalleled physical security levels, ranging from policies and procedures to the technology they use. They introduce extensive procedures for an incident response so that any violation is instantly detected and dealt with.
Why outsource the risk and costs to cloud providers?
The stakes are high when it comes to cybersecurity – and organizations find it more challenging to keep pace with the onslaught of new threats. This is why the responsibility and risk are shifted to cloud service providers. Not only are cloud service providers best positioned to operate and maintain these systems and keep them safe, but they also make access to the highest possible standards of security more accessible for their customers. In addition to price, scalability, uptime, and reliability, location is arguably the key consideration when choosing a technology partner. The right location choice means an optimized infrastructure and application environment that can reach your entire audience or a game-changing strategy for data analytics that helps you better understand your operations and your clients than competitors. On the flip side, a poor location can lead to unstable connections and efficiency issues.
What are the benefits of a compliant data center?
- Reduced Complexity: The weight of complexity is lifted from your shoulders by co-locating your servers in a compliant data center.
- Save on Costs: A compliant service provider allows the IT team to concentrate on crucial applications specifically related to your business, not on the regular information related to server updates, infrastructure for data centers, network management, and security.
- Security: To protect confidential information, top colocation providers are equipped with managed servers, cloud, power, and network infrastructure designed with redundant routers, switches, and paired universal threat management devices.
- Availability: The use of high-availability (HA) solutions in a fully redundant and compliant data center guarantees consistent uptime and data availability for customers
United Private Cloud is certified to the highest industry standards and is fully compliant with SSAE16 and HIPAA. Our colocation services offer a 24x7x365 live support Network Operations Center, with staff adept at escalation and natural disaster procedures.
At United Private Cloud, we are obsessed with the success of our customers, and that includes ensuring that the right security measures are in place through our private cloud offerings:
- Software-Defined Kubernetes Container Cloud: An on-premises turnkey cloud solution that delivers pure upstream Kubernetes with the typical management components required to run real enterprise workloads. Deploy applications, scale them up and make them more resilient even in hybrid or multi-cloud infrastructures, using United Private Cloud Highly Available Kubernetes Solution.
- Software-Defined G3 powered by VMware: G3 private cloud powered by VMware provides you a fully managed, single-tenant, dedicated VMware private cloud in your choice of global data centers, including your own, and allows you to address data sovereignty requirements, while also locating cloud resources closer to your office which can improve performance and customer satisfaction drastically.
- Private Cloud on Hyper-V: G3 private cloud with Hyper-V is a simple and easy-to-deploy private cloud solution that can be flexibly expanded when required. It integrates and manages your environments with tools and services designed for hybrid cloud with high-security level through HGS (Hosted Guardian Service) and single tenancy management compared to public cloud environments.
- OpenStack: G3 Private cloud delivers OpenStack private cloud as-a-service, architected like a public cloud and designed for scale and service availability to any data center in the world. It includes a 99.999% API Uptime SLA and can save customers revenue up to 30%.
Visit the United Private Cloud website to get a complete IT Estate Assessment that helps you navigate a seamless cloud adoption strategy.
All clouds become private clouds whenever a single customer with fully isolated access is committed to the underlying IT infrastructure.
For a single company, a private cloud is a storage environment with public cloud advantages but housed in the data center of a company or through a third-party provider. Private clouds are recognized for their efficiency, security, and expandability and are therefore often the option of choice for enterprise workload infrastructure. Private clouds provide individualized clients with fully separate databases, software instances, and supporting infrastructure.
At present, and we are experiencing an age in which digital transformation is not an option anymore, but central to business processes. The so-called ‘new normal’ is beginning to take shape, and it seems like several organizations are starting to embrace cloud-based technologies to promote flexible and remote work, if possible.
While robust antivirus and firewall security are needed in every cloud environment, private cloud solutions give decision-makers an enhanced sense of security. Critical information is kept safe and protected by using hardware specifically dedicated to the organization’s needs. This is achievable through what is called a single-tenant cloud architecture by the industry. Think of residents as corporations. But they’re searching for hardware to house their data in this situation.
For a private cloud environment, cloud access is even more protected since it is accessed through private and secure network links. Besides, private clouds have a fixed billing model instead of a prepaid method, which essentially helps organizations to plan growth and budget more accurately.
We have a completely operated business support service for 24/7/365 with 15 min time for response together with expert escalation every half an hour. With 99.999% high availability N+M clusters, United Private Cloud has a computing, software-defined network, and storage services. Our great sense of customer project recognition means that we are continually working to provide solutions. This sense of identity also implies that we respect and facilitate smooth communication with the teams of our customers and guarantee that the best value is received.
Companies are opting for United Private Cloud to receive gains in performances, cost reduction, adapt quickly to unforeseen contingencies, and overcome data sovereignty effectively along with worldwide enforcement requirements. To have a better understanding of what else United Private Cloud has in store for you, register today for a free preview.
A private cloud is a scalable hosting solution providing your business with agility and redundancy in the IT infrastructure. Private cloud solutions are suitable for businesses with large computing and storage requirements, need to respond promptly to innovation, or have control, security, and compliance requirements. It’s not easy to build an on-site infrastructure, let alone build the cloud infrastructure on top of that.
With greater reliability, higher availability, dynamic scalability, and resource elasticity, cloud technology provides better computing and storing data approach. Of course, the network isn’t easy to create and comes with its collection of difficulties and obstacles. Although switching to the cloud is advantageous, companies have questions about data protection and honesty, which is why companies are keen on introducing private clouds. Apart from better infrastructure control, running on a private cloud will have full security, privacy, and data sensitivity control position.
A private cloud is costly to manage. While there is plenty of open-source Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) cloud services available free of charge, you need to consider the direct expense of hardware leasing or ownership, data center rental, bandwidth, etc redundancy capacity just to get started. When this is in place, you must always count the indirect costs from the protection and organizational perspective to ensure that the system is stable and well maintained.
There is a common mistake where underused or dormant instances are left running indefinitely, with no significant long-term value them. Always tag instances with a meaningful description, along with the details of the person in charge, and their termination policy (delete after 1 week after creation). Enforce more stringent rules to shut down or terminate underutilized instances to save space, CPU power, and energy. Plan a regular audit for your instances and hardware assessment to ensure that the resources are not over-/underused.
Many companies make it a long-term error by entirely outsourcing infrastructure maintenance to others, and do not take advantage of organically building up the in-house team. We need to recruit a cloud leader at least and create a team of in-house experts around it, taking advantage of the technology that is already in place. Creating an expert team takes time to train, share expertise, and develop skills, which gradually gain experience and confidence to attain a professional level. It is the most substantial long-term investment for the company to have a large team for years or even decades to support the easily scalable cloud infrastructure. It would also keep the cloud infrastructure secure and reduce the possibility of managing confidential data on-site from external hands.
United Private Cloud comes with all the advantages of cloud storage but with an enterprise-grade private cloud with greater controls and security. Our United Private Cloud private cloud, powered by VMware technologies, has a guaranteed 30 percent lower cost than leading public clouds. United Private Cloud helps organizations to achieve performance advantages, minimize costs, adapt rapidly to unpredictable demand, and solve data sovereignty and enforcement requirements with ease. We also include performance computing (VMware DRS) with 100K+ IOPS and 10g-100 g networking over all-flash storage, and fully customizable vCPU and RAM size configurations without lock-in to different types of VM along with adaptive resizing and optimization services.
When moving into new technologies, such as cloud computing, there are still difficulties and obstacles. We need to understand the tradeoff and know how to use all the resources we have, so we do not make the same mistakes again.
To get a better insight into what else G3 Silicon UnitedCloud has got in store, sign up for a free demo today.
In today’s world, one can confidently conclude that enterprise computing’s future lies in the cloud. Cloud offers much-needed mobility for IT operations, thus cutting hardware and development expenses. The innovation brought together by the public cloud providers in terms of serverless computing, low-cost storage, flexible billing models, scalability, elasticity, enterprise-grade security, and a range of purpose-designed services has pushed many companies around the world to rethink their IT environment so that they can utilize the cloud to accelerate and maintain their digital transformation.
Migrating to cloud destinations brings with it a multitude of challenges that enable you to learn about service providers and how they vary. Organizations find it challenging to develop skills and expertise to switch to only one platform, resulting in the need to replace or eliminate certain team members and upgrade the current staff with cloud skills that can be expensive and disruptive. It is no wonder that the thought of doing so can be overwhelming across several private cloud platforms.
Cloud migration services offered by United Private Cloud can seamlessly migrate your applications, data, and infrastructure to the cloud. Our experts can help you build your migration strategy, evaluate your portfolio of applications, review your cost structure, and identify the best cloud platform for your needs.
United Private Cloud’s G3 IaaS Private Cloud Platform is its 3rd generation private cloud solution, developed, hardened, and perfected over a period of 15 years while serving many hundreds of enterprises and governments across the globe. G3 IaaS delivers high performance, 99.999% availability, locked-down security, and software-defined agility and scalability while delivering greater than 30% cost savings versus leading public clouds and greater than 70% cost savings versus other leading private clouds.
The process of cloud migration is divided into three phases – the pre-migration planning, execution, and testing phases. We evaluate your current IT infrastructure and determine which applications to migrate. Customized migration solutions are provided based on customer requirements, ensuring minimal interruption of business operations for customers. The migration architecture and data need to be migrated after determination, executing the migration process to the cloud, and ensuring minimal disruption to normal operations. We also provide post-migration support with real-time monitoring of application performance in the new environment, access data security to ensure it meets all regulatory requirements, and update OS drivers to match the new environment.
Organizations should look to monitoring performance not as a post-migration afterthought but as an integral part of their digital transformation and cloud journey. Monitoring should be incorporated into benchmarking KPIs at every step of the way, track user experience, understand performance deviations, forecast capability requirements, and ensure a seamless transition and benefit from actionable insight for scaling and cloud expansion.
With our systematic account management paradigm, we perform continuous operational tuning and weekly follow-up with the customers to ensure that they optimize and use the solution’s full potential. It’s a consultative approach and a continuous process of serving our customers better.
Visit the United Private Cloud to interact with experts to guide you to the right solution!
Enhance your cloud computing capabilities with United Private Cloud
Organizations are increasingly turning to private clouds for their data needs. Cloud computing helps organizations optimize their applications and processes to generate the best value from their IT investments. Cloud adoption is perceived to be very complex and challenging for most organizations. In a survey conducted by Statista, around 83% of respondents cited cloud security as a significant challenge. Security concerns are justified with increasing frequency and potency of cyber attacks, especially with leading public clouds and prominent companies being the prime target of hackers. There are several other challenges that public clouds face, such as managing governance and a lack of resources and expertise. Public clouds cannot afford to customize governance and expertise for every company. And as such private clouds are a far more viable option.
Private clouds help organizations of all sizes take advantage of customized governance and monitoring mechanisms. Companies are facing dynamic and unpredictable computing needs as they rapidly expand and globalize. A private cloud solution offers organizations the ability to meet security, governance, and compliance needs without having to manage the hardware themselves personally.
United Private Cloud offers all the powerful benefits of cloud computing while also providing greater control and the enhanced security of an enterprise-grade private cloud. VMware technologies power our software-defined private cloud, the United Private Cloud private cloud solution comes with a guaranteed 30% lower cost than the leading public clouds. Gain performance advantages at much lower costs while rapidly responding to the unpredictable demands of business with United Private Cloud. Resolve your data sovereignty and compliance requirements with the G3 software-defined cloud by United Private Cloud.
United Private Cloud helps organizations simplify the migration to a highly agile software-defined private cloud. We provide a high performance compute through all-flash storage with 100K+ IOPS and 10g-100g networking. The performance parameters help organizations take full advantage of their cloud resources and enhance their applications. Organizations are required to be available consistently to cater to the growing demands of your business. Unscheduled downtimes can impact the bottom line and company reputation adversely. United Private Cloud guarantees a 99.999% availability of N+M clusters compared to the standard SLA of 99.99% provided by leading public clouds. A downtime of a few minutes can translate to huge losses. We provide 24/7/365 days fully managed enterprise support service with a 15 minute response time and the expert escalation of requests every 30 min of reporting until the request gets resolved.
We provide a cost-optimized managed cloud service that is 30% cost-efficient than AWS, Azure, and GCP; it is 50% cost-efficient than an on-prem data center. Deploy large and complex workloads efficiently with our on-demand connectivity options to 300+ carriers. We allow you to deploy your data center in your own on-prem or 200+ global data center networks. Our integrated Disaster Recovery (DR) service with <1min RPO and 15min RTO help organizations deal with disaster outcomes and assist Business Continuity planning. We provide a highly secure private cloud with locked-down network security, restricted IP access, Zero trust security, and locked down ports. In this ever-evolving technological landscape, it’s time to go private.
Visit the United Private Cloud website today, for a high-performance, high availability private cloud solution for all your business needs.